[mythtv-users] HDMI - no signal

PJR pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 00:50:41 UTC 2014

On 08/01/14 16:40, Mick Sulley wrote:
> Firstly thank you all for taking the trouble to try to help me out
> with this, much appreciated!
>
> Resolution - the manual is vague on most things, but it says that
> HDMI/DVI supports 720p and 1080i at both 50Hz and 60Hz
>
> HDMI connection - there is only one HDMI port, so no change of
> selecting the wrong one.
>
> As someone pointed out it does say in the manual under that connection
> 'Not compatible with PC', which is a bit of a worry, however I had
> tried it with my laptop and that worked, although it seem to see it as
> screen 2.  Today I have tried plugging my newly built desktop into it
> and that works as well.  That has a Asus GT 610 Silent 2GB DDR3 VGA
> DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card.  That works OK so I am now thinking that
> if I get a similar card for the Myth box (needs to be low profile to
> fit in) then that should fix it.
>
> I am also thinking that the current TV is not that brilliant, so maybe
> time to invest in a new one (but that will need wifely approval :-) )

The Asus GT 610 uses an Nvidia graphics processor whereas the Gigabyte
SKT-1156 Q57M-S2H has an Intel GPU.  My guess is it's the Xorg graphics
driver for Intel that's the problem.  I would recommend going the Nvidia
route, I have two mythTV systems both with an Nvidia GPU one as a
separate graphics card the other on the m/b.  I've always had least
problems with Nvidia GPUs and Xorg.  I know there are issues with their
drivers not being opensource but at least they provide them.  Nvidia
also provide a set of gui tools for setting up their driver and saving
and using the EDID.  If you go this route make sure you've got or
install the Nvidia Xorg graphics driver (why not try the Asus GT 610
from the desk top first if it physically fits for height?)