[mythtv-users] down sizing

Gregory Schade gmschade at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 20:17:10 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 12:39 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Gregory Schade <gmschade at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/10/2014 10:13 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>> Is there any way to get a movie recorded in HD (14GB with ads in) to
>>> burn onto a DVD (4.7GB)? I've done low quality transcodes on 6.8GB
>>> recordings that end up at 5GB.  027 fixes in Ubuntu 120.4
>>> Daryl
>> what do you use to record? or what is your recording device?
>> do you need the video to be playable on a normal dvd player or, do you
>> want to just get the file down below 4.7 gig?
>>
> I have some HD recordings in Mythtv that I want to burn for my
> grandson's DVD player, so I need to shrink then burn in mythtv to be
> played on a commercial DVD player.
this is assuming your videos are recorded in mpeg2. NOT from a HD-PVR.
And it's been a while since I've had to do this. I think using mythtv
.25, and I don't have any mpeg2 recordings to test it with, but I walked
through it on my system as best as I could

1. go through and edit the commercial cut list
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings
    it's usually easiest to load detected commercial and make sure the
cuts are in the right place.
    play around with the editor. it's really good and easy to use.

2. save cuts and exit editor, exit the video, with video highlighted hit
menu, go to job options, begin transcoding, and select High Quality
    I had problems with mytharchive making the dvd and failing if I
didn't remove commercials first

3. go to optical disks, archive files, create dvd    run through the
menus and select proper options
    I just started having it make an iso and not burn because I was
getting to many errors. i then burned the disk with k3b, if your using
mythbuntu it's available in the repositories. if you use a different
program to burn the disk from an iso make sure you select the option to
"burn disk from image" or something similar to it.