[mythtv-users] down sizing

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Jan 11 02:05:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:13:36PM -0500, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Is there any way to get a movie recorded in HD (14GB with ads in) to
> burn onto a DVD (4.7GB)? I've done low quality transcodes on 6.8GB
> recordings that end up at 5GB.  027 fixes in Ubuntu 120.4

I asked how to transcode to SD a while back for a different reason:
slow CPU, and was given this command that has been working great:

mythffmpeg -i <HDfilename>.mpg -target ntsc-dvd <HDfilename>SD.mpg

It's been working great, although very slowly on my old/slow CPU.
At least I can watch the SD versions that come out.

Others have commented extensively on size and quality issues, which
are all relevant to fitting the files on the DVDs, so more option
tweaking might be necessary if the files are really long.

Augustine