[mythtv-users] Replacing irexec - calling a script with remote using ir-keytable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 13 11:08:07 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 05:57 AM, David Watkins wrote:
> On 13 January 2014 09:48, birchley giles wrote:
>
>> I'm running Mythtv 0.26 on Fedora 19 x86_64. Because LIRC seems to break
>> in new ways with every time the Fedora package changes I've baled out and
>> started using ir-keytable as described here<
>> http://atterer.org/mythtv-xmbc-remote-control-without-lirc>
>>
>> This works very nicely (especially when the key repeat rate is lowered)
>> and I'd recommend it as a method, however I can't work out how to replace
>> the irexec function I made use of with lirc.
>>
>> With lirc I used irexec to call a shell script in order to detect and shut
>> down game emulators whenever a button on my remote was pressed. From memory
>> the entry in lircrc looked like this:
>>
>> begin
>> prog = irexec
>> button = KEY_HOME
>> config = emukill.sh
>> end
>>

>> Has anyone created a similar function using ir-keytable or assigning the
>> script to a keypress?
>>
>> Many thanks for your help,
> I think xbindkeys is what you want.
>
> I've assigned a keypress to shutdown my frontend and configured my remote
> to generate that keypress. It works well.
>
> I'd help you more but I really can't remember how I did it.  I have the
> following at the end of .xbindkeysrec, which is in my mythtv users folder.
>
> "/usr/local/bin/mythpowerbutton.sh"
>      c:58 + m:0x4
>      CTRL_m
>
> I'd have to resort to Google to work out what this does and you can
> probably google this as well as me.
>
> Hope this helps.

Even easier, in most cases Window Managers have built-in support for
triggering scripts in response to key presses.  (So, even though you're
throwing out the LIRC baby with the "I have to learn new stuff with new
versions" bathwater, I hope you haven't thrown out the Window Manager
baby with the "I only use MythTV, so I don't need a WM, and that 300kB
of RAM is important to me" bathwater. :)

Mike