[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Jan 14 21:17:31 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Joe Henley <joehenley at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy replies.  I do have both SD and HD for most, if not
> all, of the channels in question.  But they are from two separate groups at
> SchedulesDirect and the HD channels go to the HD-PVR, the SD go to an analog
> HVR-1950.  Also, the mediainfo output for the "reduced, not the normal size"
> episodes has "AVC (NTSC)" for the video format.  From what I've looked at so
> far in the mediainfo data, typically files from the HD-PVR have:
> _Format_ _Video format_ _Width x Height_ _Aspect ratio_
> MPEG-TS  AVC                 1920 x 1080        16:9
> and SD from the HVR-1950 has:
> MPEG-PS  NTSC               720 X 480             4:3
> What I see from the "reduced size" episodes is:
> MPEG-TS  AVC (NTSC)      720 x 480              4:3
>
> So, I think the HD-PVR is doing the recording for the "reduced size"
> episodes.

Just one more point, in case I wasn't clear on this:  the HD-PVR only
captures at whatever resolution the settop box is outputting.  It has
no onboard video scaling capability.  So if the video is in a lower
resolution and it's well formed, then it's because that's what it
received.  Whether that's because you're recording from the wrong
channel or the cable company is putting out SD on the channel you
expect HD, I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

In short, it's not a driver issue.  :-)

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs