[mythtv-users] commflagging and cutlists

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 18 20:52:01 UTC 2014

On 01/18/2014 03:15 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> I guess I am confused about commflagging.  I always assumed that
> commflagging and cutlists went hand in hand...  However, I am playing
> with commflagging and I am coming up with some weird results that tell
> me I have no idea how commflagging works.
>
> First off the standard myth commflag job as run by myth:
>
> /usr/bin/mythcommflag -j 31 --noprogress --verbose general --loglevel
> info --quiet --syslog local7
>
> This takes a while; on my system it rolls through at 3-4x the speed of
> the video, so a 2 hour video takes about a half an hour to flag.
>
> But to generate a commercial cutlist this is the command I've seen:
>
> mythcommflag: /usr/bin/mythcommflag --chanid 1132 --starttime
> 20140117230000 --gencutlist
>
> It's very fast, takes just a minute or two, and seems to flag
> commercials.  it also generates the following warning:

>  WARNING: --gencutlist has been deprecated
>           use mythutil instead
>
> So I've tried this:
>
> mythutil --chanid "$chanid" --starttime "$starttime" --gencutlist
>
> which also works quickly and generates a cutlist.
>
> So what is the correct procedure?  Do I run the first commflag job,
> then the mythutil cutlist job?

gencutlist simply takes the commercial start/end markers--as detected by
mythcommflag--and turns them into cut markers.  If you do gencutlist
without ever having done mythcommflag commercial detection, you'll have
no cuts (or it may just error and tell you there's no commercial skip
list to turn into a cut list).

Mikie