[mythtv-users] OT: backing up miniDV

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Jan 20 03:13:08 UTC 2014

At 8:52 PM -0600 1/19/14, jedi wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 08:44:27PM -0500, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>  At 6:40 PM -0600 1/19/14, jedi wrote:
>>  >On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 02:10:14AM +0800, Phil Wild wrote:
>>  >> >
>>  >> > > The question of what you can use to create a proper BD disk with in
>>  >> > > Linux is a very good question indeed...
>>  >> >
>>  >> > Indeed.  But as I say, whether that's his best move depends on his
>>  >> > goals.
>>  >> >
>>  >>
>>  >> My goal is to create a backup disk that is playable on a standard blu-ray
>>  >> player.
>>  >> The primary location of the media will be a directory under mythtv that I
>>  >> can view and play from.
>>  >> I think the simplest approach is to capture the video on a Mac mini via
>>  >> firewire rather than Linux then...
>>  >
>>  >   If you are going to use a Mac, you certainly don't want to be feeding it
>>  >"alien" files. Macs aren't terribly good at doing that. You will get stuck
>>  >feeding your files through some other converter before Mac apps know what
>>  >to do with it.
>>
>>  Pardon?  QuickTime and iMovie on OS X have been very comfortable at
>>  importing quite a few digital video formats since...well, nearly
>>  forever:
>
>    Oh really? Then that's why iMovie failed spectacularly at dealing with
>my own legacy DV and MPEG2 files and Quicktime supports nearly nothing out
>of the box?
>
>    That's the nice thing about having employed Minis as
>mythfrontends. It meant
>that I could see how this stuff works for real. Bust the mystique completely.

Works for me and I have a bunch of videos of my kid's sports to prove
it.  The problem with digital video is that a bunch of cheap
recorders produce bastardized versions of standard formats.  Such
that only their software can do anything with it.

Quicktime was designed, over 22 years ago, to allow plug-ins to
support additional media formats:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3526

Craig