[mythtv-users] Setting up/testing Hauppauge HVR-1100 composite/s-video input?

BIRD Neil Neil.BIRD at uk.thalesgroup.com
Mon Jan 20 12:56:55 UTC 2014

  In trying to replace an old PVR-350 [for a new, replacement Myth box], which is only used for s-video encoding (from a Satellite box) I plumped for an other Hauppauge, an HVR-1100  (1120 I think it actually reports).

  Now, the DVB-T aspect of it worked straight out of the box (tested with vlc after a command-line channel scan), but I've not had much joy with the actual intended use while fiddling with its composite input.

  I have just been told that this is likely because the 1100, unlike the 350, doesn't do H/W MPEG compression & is putting out raw video data, so my 'cat /dev/video0' isn't going to be what I was expecting.

  So, I have two questions:

a) Will MythTV actually be able to use this raw video input?  And a follow up: what, then, will it save on disc - will it do runtime MPEG compression or will I have to transcode it (preventing its use for LiveTV/immediate time-shifting?

b) Any idea how I can actually test the thing before I go the whole hog in setting up Myth on this new PC?  Would something like “cheese” work with it?  Or is there a way of telling mplayer the format of the data?

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature