[mythtv-users] Bringing old recordings back to life

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jan 20 15:17:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 06:28:51 -0800, you wrote:

>I have some old recordings (as in 2008 or so) and a tarball of the
>database dump from 2009.  I am interested in a handful of recordings;
>maybe 12 in all.
>
>I'd like to get just those recordings into my new myth 0.27 install.  I
>am not interested in resurrecting the entire database, but I do need to
>do commercial detection and transcoding.
>
>What's the best way to do that?

One possible way is to install a virtual machine or a separate
partition with the same version of OS and MythTV that you are using.
Then restore your old database to the new install and allow it to be
upgraded to the correct MytTV version.  Then install MythExport and
get it to export the recordings you want.  Install MythImport on your
real MythTV system and use it to import the exported recordings.  Of
course, make sure you backup your database first, just in case.