[mythtv-users] Setting up/testing Hauppauge HVR-1100 composite/s-video input?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jan 21 14:23:26 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 13:55, BIRD Neil wrote:
> From: John Pilkington, Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:41 PM
>> If you have vlc you might try Media > Open Capture Device for a
>> quick test.
>
>    Yep, did that and got it working, thanks.
>
>    However, it generates a whopping ~800MB per *minute* (so ~48GB per hour).  Even with a post-process transcode, that's a whopper.

Yes, that's raw video;  vlc can display it in real time.  Myth would use
its software encoder to create a .nuv recording of a size, IIRC, not
greatly different from dvb-t, but with the limitations in support that
Raymond mentioned, and, of course, the processing load during recording.

>    I'm going to send it back and try something with a guaranteed hardware encoder.  The PCI Adaptec VideOh (AVC-2010) looks a likely candidate (ivtv support from several years ago), and is currently only £18.  Has both s-video & composite, plus audio, and no other bells or whistles, which (presuming it works) will suit me fine.
>
>    I have a TBS DVB-T HD dual tuner for the normal stuff, FWIW, and that appears to be great (only tested via vlc at this point).

I suppose you saw Paul H's comments here; slightly worrying, but good luck!

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/559850#559850