[mythtv-users] Question on recording sizes and DVD burning

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 21 14:27:18 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 09:08 AM, Joseph DeGraw wrote:
> A while ago I upgraded my hardware to include HD recording with a ceton
> card and its been great. However, My girlfriend wants to burn some of
> her shows to DVD that are 2 hours long. However the size of the files
> are like 10 gigs. In mytharchive they can come down to just over 5 gigs.
> The shows are 1920x? HD from comcast provider. I was thinking that
> reducing them to 720i would be fine to make them smaller to fit on DVD.
> This brings up transcoding (which Im looking into right now) and profiles.
>
> How do you handle this?
>
> jdegraw

Ok, I have gone into the menu in mytharchive after reading an older
thread and selected a recording profile. I guess my only question is :
What do the different profiles mean?

HQ, EP, LP, SD

I know if I select a SD setting it will not finish and stalls out. I
dont even get an error message. Therefore, Iam trying the LP one for a
single sided DVD for a 10 gig, 2 hour Lifetime Network movie.

MythTV .27 / Mythbuntu 12.04 based

jdegraw