[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Tue Jan 21 17:04:20 UTC 2014

I notice that Newegg has the

Intel NUC Kit DC3217BY Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz HD
Graphics 4000 Integrated by CPU Chassis for $180

I currently use a 2007 MacMini2,1 Core 2 Duo/2GHZ/GMA graphics as a
backend/frontend, which except for boot uses a large external USB disk
for Linux and Myth storage. The poor support of GMA on Linux going
forward has me looking for a replacement of similar footprint. The HDMI
on the NUC would also make things easier.

This low end NUC is the right size and price. I would use my existing
external disk and just need to add ram.

I'm not familiar with how good the HD4000 is at MPEG2 under Linux/Myth.
How would it stack up against my old Mini?

I do use bluetooth and IR which are built in on the Mini. Not clear to
me if the NUC has either. I guess there are USB solutions if necessary.