[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:38:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> It was my understanding their "storage pods" contained three rows of fifteen
> drives each, running 5:1 port multiplier backplanes into dumb controller
> cards, and each row was a 13+2 LVM RAID6 formatted using JFS.

I believe the controller cards are "software raid" capable, but, as you
say, they are running dumb.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the SIL chipset family in any variant
(controller or mux), although it is possible they have improved in
the later generations, but backblaze is targetting a market that is
extremely price sensitive, and with sufficient redundancy, you can
get away with a lot of otherwise interesting choices.

Of course, if I care about my data, I run ZFS.

Gary