[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jan 22 14:08:18 UTC 2014

On 1/22/2014 9:00 AM, Jon Heizer wrote:
> One thing to watch out for if you buy it is drives' backplane takes
> molex power and that many can be rare on a PSU things days.  We have a
> bunch of SATA to Molex adapters and Y cables.

I'm surprised backplanes haven't simply started using the same 6/8-pin
12V plugs as graphics cards, and have an integrated DC supply for the
3.3V and 5V lines.  It's something that wouldn't cost more than a few
dollars in volume, and those things always have some amount of circuitry
involved.  They're not just dumb passthrough.