[mythtv-users] setting up Video Library

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Jan 22 19:25:34 UTC 2014

After hearing all the good things about Video Library, I am trying to
use it, and not having much luck getting it going.

My first step is just to set up a place where I can copy recordings that
I want to keep permanently. Then I can make backups of these and not
have to back up the whole recording collection. I do envision other uses
for the Video Library, but this seems like a good place to start. I set
up a mythvidexport job, and this "works" in the sense that it will make
a copy in one of the Videos directories that I set up. But a subsequent
copy of another episode from the same show overwrites the first
(example: using  Dr. Who episode to test with, it creates a "Dr.
Who.mpg" file in the videos directory, but overwrites this file if I run
the mythvidexport job on a different Dr. Who episode. I don't get a
videos/Dr. Who/Title.mpg file or something like that). Whatever is
there, I can find it in the Media Library -> Watch Videos interface, but
I'm not getting the nice groupings of episodes that I'm hearing so much
about.

I don't quite grok the interrelationships between setting up the
mythvidexport job, setting up the Video Library settings, using
ttvdb.py, and so forth. Is there a document somewhere that explains how
to set up all this stuff so it works together properly?

One issue I see right away is that my recordings do not seem to have
Season information; they all have Season=0 in the recorded table. I
suppose there is no real way to recover that info when all I have is
series name and title, e.g. "Dr. Who", "Family of Blood". I might be OK
if I could just get it to group the Dr. Who episodes in their own
directory with a file name corresponding to the episode title so I could
browse them, but it's not clear to me how to make this happen.

Any advice or pointers to documents I might have missed?

Thanks,
--Greg