[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Jan 22 23:54:50 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 03:45 PM, Tom Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com
> <mailto:yan at seiner.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 01/19/2014 08:52 AM, Karl Dietz wrote:
>
>         On 19.01.2014 17:47, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>             I've downloaded and installed rshendershot's
>             MythRokuPlayer. I have it
>             sort of working but I have issues... Is there a support
>             forum / maillist
>             for the mythrokuplayer anywhere?
>

>         try http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33704
>
>     OK, that was a dumb question....  I missed the 33 pages of
>     thread...  Not enough coffee on my side of the world.
>

> MythRoku sounds interesting..     I believe the Roku lacks support for
> MPEG-2, right?   So, I guess it's intended for EU users, or transcoders?

The mythtv channel looks good, too.  Chaneru is far easier to set up
(literally plug and play) but it has the worst looking UI....

> I really like the Roku 3, nice interface -- very snappy.  Having a
> MythTV app would be great.    But, my backend lacks the grunt to
> transcode in a reasonable time.    Maybe when the new HDHomerun
> cablecard unit with transcoding comes out this could be an option.
You have to transcode.  The Roku is picky about formats so there's no
telling if it will play the new hdhr encodings. It would be nice.

Do you know if you could run existing recordings through the HDHR and
transcode them?  That would be a huge plus.

On my very anemic servers (AMD Athlon Dual Core 4600+) it takes about
10x as long to transcode as to play.  I clocked it with a new i3-3240
dual core, and it took about 4x.  I figure it needs something like a
i5-3470 quad core to make it reasonable.