[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu keeps installing mythtv-backend on a frontend only

Thu Jan 23 14:11:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:04:26AM +0000, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> today it happened again that one of my frontends installed the backend
> automatically. I even manually uninstalled it the last time that
> happened. I'm using the Mythbuntu repo for 0.27 on Ubuntu 13.10. What
> keeps mythtv-backend installing automatically and how do I prevent this
> in the future?

You don't mention what program you use to install packages, but .deb
packages have three levels of dependency: "Depends" are packages that
must be installed for the package to function at all, "Recommends" are
packages that "would be found together with this package in all but
unusual installations" and "Suggests" are packages that make the package
being installed "more useful". [Quotes are from the Debian Policy
Manual). "Recommends" are installed by default on most distros but,
depending on what package management tool you use, can be turned off.

Check the "mythtv-frontend" package (in a commandline, 'apt-cache show
mythtv-frontend' will help) and I suspect you'll find that
mythtv-backend is a "Recommends".