[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Jan 23 17:51:10 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 09:44 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 03:54:50PM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>> On my very anemic servers (AMD Athlon Dual Core 4600+) it takes
>> about 10x as long to transcode as to play.  I clocked it with a new
>> i3-3240 dual core, and it took about 4x.  I figure it needs
>> something like a i5-3470 quad core to make it reasonable.
>      That doesn't sound right.
>
>      Are you sure that the transcoder is using threading? You should be
> getting much better performance than that and using multiple cpus in
> the process. If your content or your transcoder can't take advantage
> of multiple cores, then a faster CPU probably won't help.

Yup.  I'm using handbrake and it's running on all available cores. h264
transcoding just takes time.  On the hyperthreaded Intel it shows as
using 396% CPU :)

Some of it may be that the Athlon is running on a RAID-5 SATA system,
while the i3-3240 is running on a SSD in a RAID-1.

I just think the old system has slower memory, slower hard drives, slower everything, pretty much; I think the memory is something like DDR-2 / 800 whereas the new system is DDR3 / 1600.  It all adds up.