[mythtv-users] Support for mythrokuplayer

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 23 19:03:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 09:51:10AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:

> On 01/23/2014 09:44 AM, jedi wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 03:54:50PM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
> >>
> >>On my very anemic servers (AMD Athlon Dual Core 4600+) it takes
> >>about 10x as long to transcode as to play.  I clocked it with a new
> >>i3-3240 dual core, and it took about 4x.  I figure it needs
> >>something like a i5-3470 quad core to make it reasonable.
> >     That doesn't sound right.
> >
> >     Are you sure that the transcoder is using threading? You should be
> >getting much better performance than that and using multiple cpus in
> >the process. If your content or your transcoder can't take advantage
> >of multiple cores, then a faster CPU probably won't help.
> >

> Yup.  I'm using handbrake and it's running on all available cores.
> h264 transcoding just takes time.  On the hyperthreaded Intel it
> shows as using 396% CPU :)

    I do loads of this kind of stuff. That's why I find your results
so intriguing.

    I do h264 transcoding very frequently. I even started off a
transcode of a BluRay on multiple machines to see how each would
perform. Even working with files on an NFS mount didn't slow down
my i3.

    Something else you might want to try is installing Plex on the
Roku. I have played around with that a little bit. It think I have
been able to play BDs through it.

    Although I prefer to just use ION based myth frontends for the
kind of things that a Roku can't handle natively.

[deletia]