[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 07:23:40 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 12:01 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> OK I just went into setup>capture cards, and when I try to change
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 to anything with "dig1250" in it, I get
> "failed to open" the only thing that opens is what presents when I
> navigate through new cards. Obviously I'm missing how to or what to
> change. Similarly with the other cards the symlink name returns
> "failed to open" Help?   Daryl

The user running mythtv-setup must have the right privileges to access
the capture hardware. The easiest way of ensuring this is to run
mythtv-setup as the same user as the one that runs the backend (which is
usually "mythtv"). Doing so also avoids a host of other problems that
might occur when running mythtv-setup as another user.

So log into your backend from any machine:

 ssh -X mythtv at nameofyourbackend

then start mythtv-setup:

 mythtv-setup

This will prompt for permission to stop the backend. Which may fail: the
mythtv user might not have permission to do so. In which case: in
another terminal log into the backend as root and shut down the backend
from there before proceeding past the shutdown-the-backend prompt:

 ssh nameofyourbackend
 sudo service mythtv-backend stop

Then go back and do what you need to do in myhtv-setup. Once done, exit
myhtv-setup and manually start the backend again from the window you
used to stop it:

 sudo service mythtv-backend start

HTH, Jan