[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:08:47 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt
<acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
> On 25/01/14 03:24 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt
>> <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:

>>> Sorry, didn't see that failed to open message. No, I'm not suggesting you
>>> ignore it.

> Ok, so you've got the udev rules making the appropriate symlinks, you've
> verified that the 'mythtv' user is indeed a member of the video group,  and
> the device nodes have the appropriate permissions (eg, read/writable by the
> video group).
>
> I guess that leaves a couple things: what exactly are you entering for the
> path to the device in mythtv-setup, and who are you running mythtv-setup as?
> Are you logged in as the 'mythtv' user, or are you logged in as someone
> else?

before I get to your questions Andrew, I have to report a partial success.
I went back up this thread to see if I had missed anything, and I
found and decided to try inserting the symlink name, exiting BEsetup
and then re-entering. first off, of the three cards, only two are
currently productive, a digital and an analog, so after entering the
symlink names for these two cards, exiting and going back in, when I
selected the digital symlink capture card it presented the
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0, but when I selected the analog symlink
the symlink name stuck and opened, much joy, so I went into "input
connections" and configured both and went back to "capture cards" and
deleted the digital symlink card, exited and the FE is happy with
that, me too!

So Andrew, after considering the info above, I think permissions etc
are OK, and as far as I know I'm making changes as "mythtv" not
positive though, if memory serves me correctly setting up this box I
used the same password for root and all else, my bad in retrospect.
 I'm leaning toward having to fix the digital cards pointing to "net0"
and "demux0" as being the path to full joy. can anyone corroborate and
or direct?  Again much thanks to all!   Daryl