[mythtv-users] UDEV rules

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 21:21:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/25/2014 02:34 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt wrote:

>> Ok, so you've got the udev rules making the appropriate symlinks, you've
>> verified that the 'mythtv' user is indeed a member of the video group,
>> and the device nodes have the appropriate permissions (eg, read/writable
>> by the video group).
>>
>> I guess that leaves a couple things: what exactly are you entering for the
>> path to the device in mythtv-setup, and who are you running
>> mythtv-setup as?  Are you logged in as the 'mythtv' user, or are you
>> logged in as someone else?
>

> I had a few minutes to test this and no, the rules are creating symlinks
> to /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0 which is wrong. The link *must* be to frontend0
> (or at least they were pointing to net0 last time Daryl posted them.)
>
> Creating the symlinks manually, this will fail:
>
>     sudo ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0 /dev/someName
>
> and this will work:
>
>     sudo ln -s /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 /dev/someOtherName
>
> So the issue here is how to create a proper udev rule
> that selects frontend0, not net0. I haven't had time
> to find the proper key/value pair to correct this.
>
> And, Daryl, I had to type the link names in manually, they
> weren't available using the left and right arrows.
>
> No need to delete the capture cards for this to work, just
> edit the existing card.
>
> --
> Bill

OK so currently the two digital cards look like:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   15 Jan 25 13:43 dig1250 -> adapter0/demux0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   13 Jan 25 13:43 DigKW150 -> adapter1/net0

and the corresponding rules are:
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",ATTRS{vendor}=="0x14f1",ATTRS{device}=="0x8852",SYMLINK+="dvb/dig1250",GROUP="video"

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",ATTRS{vendor}=="0x1131",ATTRS{device}=="0x7133",SYMLINK+="dvb/DigKW150",GROUP="video"

I'm going back to the udev wiki and see if I can beat anything into
this thick Irish cranium of mine.