[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 17:51:20 UTC 2014

On 1/26/14, 12:40 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Stephen P. Villano
> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Windows is the fully supported, followed by Tivo. Both paid for the
>> licensing and met with the requirements of protecting the crypto.
>> That isn't sabotage, it's a basic licensing scheme that is somewhat
>> abusive in nature.
> I would agree that the DRM is often the root
> issue.  You can agree, or disagree, with the
> rights of content owners to restrict access
> to their content, and the way they are doing
> it (I, for one, do not agree with all the restrictions),
> but that is the world one lives in.  And such
> discussions about DRM need to be made
> "upstream" with the content owners, and/or
> the FCC.

Actually, the discussion needs to go even higher, to the legislature.
The rights of the intellectual property owner should be protected, but
so should the rights of the consumer.
Today's situation is like buying a car, but only being allowed to
purchase specially licensed fuel and tires for it, at a substantially
higher price.
The FCC can only act within the boundaries created by Congress, so the
discussion really needs to be at a higher level.
Regrettably, most consumers don't know or care about having superior
service in this country.

Now, if a disruptive technology were to come along to upset the
applecart, we might actually have things implemented properly.
But, I'll not hold my breath waiting for it.