[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .20 to .27

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 26 21:17:46 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 04:10 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Lord Kage wrote:
>> Still no love.
>>
>> At this point, I would just settle for a sane set of instructions on
>> how to dump the DB (either using mysqldump or mythconverg_backup.pl
>> <http://mythconverg_backup.pl>), then update its schema/data for .27
>> before importing into the new machine.
> If you follow the below instructions on how to do a database backup,
> once complete and send it to me and I'll see if I can convert it.
>
> I compile from source, so shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

And, yes, this is a good approach, too--once you find someone as
generous with his time as Doug is.

The only real password in the database is the password to your Schedules
Direct account (assuming you're in North America and using Schedules
Direct).  You can either change that in the database with mythtv-setup
before you do the backup or just change it at Schedules Direct and then
update it in mythtv-setup when you put the upgraded database in place).

Other than that, there's a PIN for requesting database credentials from
the backend, but that requires local network access, so not really a big
deal to protect it.  And, of course, you can always use the same
combination I use on my luggage, as it's widely accepted to be the
most-secure PIN in existence (
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Spaceballs#President_Skroob ).

Then again, I'm guessing you wouldn't have any problems, regardless.
I'm only mentioning this so you may feel less concerned about someone
else having access to your database data for a short time.

Mike