[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Andre Ross andre.ross at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 27 07:33:33 UTC 2014

I hope we can change DRM & DMCA action and all the trouble trying to use your own devices.

But I want to make sure I answered the question of a possible work around to help someone still get content to watch.

My setup

For server
Linux OS running mythtv

Device:
hdhomerun prime with cable card (only for copy freely shows)
homerun dual (antenna input) (for local shows also football and news programs)
qty 2  - HD PVR (I have used this with a number devices u-verse, cable box
                        and even with a lot of work record roku hulu shows
                        in SD not HD but hey something to do
                        just a note HDMI is encrypted another form of DRM
                        use component video for SD, 720p, 1080i with 5.1 audio
                        so the HD PVR 2 Gaming HDMI is a no go )
CommandIR III is usb and it has four ir blasters (I love this thing)

note it's not easy to do but you can setup ir commands

Software:
Mythtv backend

sickbeard    (this app will auto find tv shows and pass it to the sabnzbd app for processing
                  How this works is you add the tv show you want to find and this app will
                  find and process your tv shows by season and episode and place them
                  in your mythtv tv folder and will be added when mythtv does a video scan)

sabnzbd      (this is used to control the download and works with sickbeard to
                  download and process your tv shows)

NzbDrone    (optional and harder to set up but takes the place of
                  sickbeard in finding your tv shows)

PLEX server (this will allow you to stream your shows when
                   you travel nice to have but not needed)

Also to download internet content you need 2 internet services, paid services are best

nzb search service (these are becoming harder to find but worth it)
News Server (a good one I like the ones in eu)

These will cost you about $8 or $15 dollars a month if you think about it this is
very cheap based on what you get.

Nice to have a paid vpn service but not needed as sickbeard and sabnzbd uses SSL
but I like that extra privacy and anonymity that a vpn service can give you.

Frontend
qty 2 - ZOTAC HD PC these are very small PC and fit behind the tv out of sight HDMI
qty 3 - Roku with plex app
plex apps on my phone, tablet & roku

Plex will allow you to stream you tv and video shows when you travel and around the house but mythtv frontend and gives better video controls.

Also when I travel I take my roku with me almost all hotel rooms tv's have a video input and you can catch up on your shows.

Just google sickbeard