[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 27 12:09:30 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 01:13 PM, CACook wrote:
> Well I'm not asking permission.  I am paying for all my content, but I am recording it as I please with the R5000-HD.  Let it be known that this device is widely reviled by Myth devs for purely political reasons, but I have single-handedly kept it running up to the latest Myth nightlies.  However I have stopped trying to convince people, and am just taking care of myself now.  Devs hate it for purely emotional and political reasons, that's too bad. Their justification is they are frightened that it may circumvent DMCA and they may get a cease and desist... but this shows they don't understand it.

No, devs hate it because it seems to be a direct violation of Dish
network's Terms of Service.

See
http://www.dish.com/legal/
and
http://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/Residential-Agreement.pdf?WT.svl=video-plan-agreements-files
(especially section 4.G. "You agree that you will not try to
reverse-engineer, decompile or disassemble, /nor will you tamper with or
modify, any software or hardware contained within any receiver of Smart
Card. Such actions are strictly prohibited and may result in the
termination of this Agreement, disconnection of your Services and/or
legal action.")

and #5 at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette#Anything_else_I_should_be_aware_of.3F

>    An actual commercial company provided many years' support for the R5000 (SageTV) and -never- got a cease and desist, because it does -not- (Read: *NOT*) circumvent encryption nor provide free content.

Right, but Terms of Service...

> I tried and tried to tell you guys for four years but nobody would listen.  But at least I now have seven years of pure HD digital video stored, compressed by Dish's $50k encoders and not de/re-compressed...  just like God intended.

And I won't even mention the fact that "fair use" in the US encompasses
"time shifting", which does /not/ seem to include "archiving" or
"librarying."  In other words, "time shifting" means recording a show
for viewing at a later time that's more convenient for the viewer, but
does not allow you to record a show to keep "indefinitely."  Oh, wait,
did I just mention that?

So please don't discuss the R-5000 on this list.

Thanks,
Mike