[mythtv-users] Modelines

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jan 27 14:48:14 UTC 2014

On 27/01/14 13:50, Robert Dege wrote:
> Is it possible to use a custom Modeline if connecting to a TV over HDMI?  I
> know that this article (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database) says
> it's ignored if TV-OUT has been configured, but I don't know if that
> applies here, since HDMI can be used to connect to monitors as well.  Plus,
> I have no TV-OUT setup in the xorg.conf.
>
> Both the mythfrontend UI, and TV playboack are larger than the physical
> screen (overscan?).  I used the screen wizard in the mythfrontend setup
> menu to adjust the dimensions.  While it did help a bit, the display is
> still too large.  I'm hoping a custom modeline might help.
>
> Mythbuntu 12.04
> Mythtv 0.27
> nVidia GT520 using 304.88-0ubuntu0.0.3 drivers

Since HDMI is all digital there should be nothing to configure in xorg, it "just
works".

There is an overscan issue which can usually be resolved by digging through your
TV setup menus. It might be called something like "PC Game Mode".

If your TV has more than one HDMI input you might try all of them. One of our
TVs had different options for some of the inputs (ie "Game Mode"/"PC mode"/Exact
Scaling"/whatever) was only available on HDMI2.

--

Mike Perkins