[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 27 19:37:52 UTC 2014

On 01/27/2014 02:17 PM, CACook wrote:
> What does MythTV do with commercials?  It is set to automatically skip all of them --by default no less-- using up to eight different algorithms to detect what is and is not, a commercial.  No different than Replay.

FWIW, the default is to disable commercial skipping and notification,
completely.  Users have to enable it if they want it, or else watch
commercials, or else fast forward/seek past them.

That said, I've still seen no authoritative source saying the commercial
skipping is disallowed.  On the bright side, though, commercial
detection has generally been useless outside the US, and over the years
since the transition to digital broadcast in the US has gotten much less
useful/accurate due to changes in the way broadcasters are
encoding/cutting/splicing the video streams.  So, if it is a bad thing,
maybe external changes are solving the problem.  :)

Mike