[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:40:32 UTC 2014

On 1/27/14, 4:11 PM, CACook at Quantum-Sci.com wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:50:19 +0000
> Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:23 PM,  <CACook at quantum-sci.com> wrote:
>>> So, you're saying that the R5000 is not relevant to this thread?
>> The OP (remember where it started?) has stated
>> interest in only appropriately licensed/authorized
>> content.  The R5000 does not meet that request
>> (not the least of which there is no current support
>> in MythTV, and that the vendor has ended their
>> offering).
>>
>>> Or that you don't like the R5000 and therefore it is not to be
>>> discussed?
>> The R5000 exists to circumvent technical limits.
>> It is not appropriate to discuss such in this forum
>> (per the list "rules"), which is intended to protect
>> the project, and the individuals that operate in
>> the very litigious country that is the US(*).  That
>> the project elders are conservative is their choice,
>> and not yours.  Now, perhaps, if  you have a binding
>> legal contract in place to indemnify all participants
>> (now, and in the future) regarding such discussions,
>> those rules could be modified.  Could you have
>> your lawyer forward a copy of that contract to the
>> list?  Until you do, I would agree that such
>> discussions (should you wish to continue them)
>> be taken elsewhere.  Respect the project.  Respect
>> the community.  Respect the individuals.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> (*) Yes, perhaps the "free speech", and "forum
>> members are responsible for their own stupidity"
>> defense will win a court case, but the costs to
>> the community and the project (and any
>> individual involved) would be high.  Why would
>> one want to be a test case?  Let those with
>> money (and large legal defense funds) fight
>> that battle.
> That's fine.  You prefer to ignore the facts.  Nothing I do or say will make any difference.

The "facts" are that one source was already bankrupted by litigation
that never made it to trial. Civil action can and is frequently
initiated that has no basis in law, little basis in law or full
foundation in law, regardless, one is burdened in retaining an attorney
and spending money in the various stages of litigation long before
actually entering a courtroom.
As an example of such things being abused, do Google "SLAPP litigation".
When one enters on the edge of commercial products and programs, one
then can trivially become a target of such litigation.
So, the question and request was quite valid and far from being
emotionally based, it was risk assessment based and the only reasonable
course of mitigation was offered.