[mythtv-users] Repeating MythContext Message: Backend online

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 02:39:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:04 AM, Thomas Winteler <wintich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list
>
> Since I'm on 0.27 (current:
> 0.27.0+fixes.20140122.5a5e1cd-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4) i get this error, while
> navigation trough recorded shows and/or watching a recorded show:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/6824776/. I have a separate backend and two
> frontends...
>
> On backend i also checked Networking problem and changed the Network
> interface. There i have a mainboard with two onboard 1GiB network
> interfaces. On both the problem is still there.
>
> I also watch recored show over an android DNLA client, without any problem.
>
> I also searched the web and found this reports:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2013-October/355415.html
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11929
>
> Sometimes, if i restart the backend server and try then navigating trough
> shows or watch one, message from MythContext don't show up for first
> minutes, but after some time, the are stil repeating.
>
> If i can provide more details, let me know how and what you need.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Regards
> thomi

I'm the reporter of the ticket above.  I see the same behavior frequently
on both of my frontends.  I do not believe it's a network issue, as I've
heard you and a few others describe the same issue and it seems to be tied
to issue in the backend.  If you stop and restart the backend, it'll stop
doing it for a long period of time.  Also, these symptoms did not occur in
0.26, regardless of the fact that mythcontext didn't notify then.  It's not
just the message appearing, it's the fact the the watch recordings list
will not populate and is unresponsive during this flapping connection to
the backend.

There is definitely something going on in 0.27 that causes this bad
behavior - it is a bug.