[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Andre Ross andre.ross at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 28 12:51:19 UTC 2014

***spoiler alert*** this might be a rant

I asked a question about a legal way to watch my content and I hate to say
the answer seams to be no.

All I want to do as a end user is have my content and watch it on my own devices.
I don't have a problem paying for my content and yes I pay for content I can't even watch
But with terms of services, DRM and others no mater how you run it through the logic table the answer is no you can't.

But there seams to be one exclusion it seems to be that if DRM breaks on windows but it still records that
seems to be OK I don't know why.

We live in a world of laws and in the world today a charge of stealing could lead to losing your job.
In my field It could lead to my not being able to pass a security check anymore and remember that
using content you don't own could be taken as stealing. Even being hit with a lawsuit could hurt
you your family and or friends.

So even if there is or was a way to record content on your own devices talking about it or letting anyone know could
start a shit storm and anyone around could get splattered.
(for the record I don't know and I know no one on this form knows how or knows anyone that knows how to circumvent DRM)

So I'm not looking for or want to be part of the underground I would just like to be a simple end user and get what
was promised, the cable company was ordered to provide cable cards to allow us users to receive content on our
own devices including premium channels.

Mythtv is a user device and we own it so the cable cards should by law work with it including premium channels.

So what was done was to add to the contract a clause that makes that contract shit.
(some company even added channel shifting so good luck with that user device)
Or another way to put it is
We where given a lease for a place to live and you can have gas, water but no electric.

So asking Mythtv to have DRM I think is more than fair but since it runs on linux no DRM for you, no playing of DVD for you
no playing of the bluray for you. because as you know linux can run any DRM software required.

So big joke of what the powers that be seem to push is.
There is no way to break DRM on windows or mac, there is no way to break DRM on any DVD, bluray, or HDMI device, the only place that the powers that be seem to think is only on linux can DRM be broken.

SO NO SOUP FOR YOU..........