[mythtv-users] Running mythtv-setup over X as mythtv user

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:58:41 UTC 2014

> On 29 Jan 2014, at 2:34 am, "Ian Evans" <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
//snip//
> If I open a terminal on the mythbox (that is VNC in, and mouse over to Applications>System>Terminal) I can try sudo su - mythtv -c "mythtv-setup" but then I get a bunch of protocol errors and "cannot open display: :0.0" Again this is with VNC and not ssh.

My situation was not the same as yours, but maybe similar enough. Try VNC in then in terminal before running mythtv-setup do:

xhost local:mythtv

Then do your mythtv-setup command?

I don't understand it but it worked for me, something about giving mythtv user permission to access xhost on local machine.