[mythtv-users] WOL - was Backend powered off/shutdown unexpectedly!

Simon Fisher simon at simonfisher.org
Thu Jan 30 10:58:48 UTC 2014

Some other WOL anomalies I experience which you might find useful to know about

One of my machines will respond to a WOL unless it's had mains power removed since being shutdown. That is with the
machine running I can issue a shutdown and later send a WOL and it will awaken and boot. If the machine is disconnected
from the mains power and reconnected it won't respond to a WOL but needs physical press button to boot.

An old machine I use as a data backup destination host booted for a few minutes periodically throughout the day has a
slow NIC on the motherboard which will respond to WOL and a faster additional plug-in NIC which won't. I have both
connected cabled to the network switch. I target the MAC address of the one on the NIC for WOL, and use the other one
for all other network traffic.

Simon