[mythtv-users] cannot play bluray or dvd's in .27

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 21:30:35 UTC 2014

Le samedi 1 février 2014, Tony Guadagno <tonyg at guadagno.org> a écrit :

> Hi, I am new to MythTV.  I have set up a backend and frontend.  I am
> installing on Debian (7.3) and using deb-multimedia's version of .27.  most
> functions seem to work very well on the frontend, i am able to stream from
> the backend live tv as well as recorded shows.  one thing that does not
> work is playing dvd's and blueray's.  I have googled and checked the
> suggestions I have found.  for example, there is a /dev/dvd linked to
> /dev/sr0.  also, there is a /media/cdrom that contains the bluray when
> inserted.  I am using nvidia drivers (current) with a geforce 630 hdmi to
> my stereo.  audio and video are fine when streaming from the backend.  here
> is some info that might be

>From your log there can be one or two possible issue:
If DVD:
1- you are missing libdvdcss
2- your drive is region locked, and the region your DVD drive is set to
doesn't match the zone of the disk inserted.

For possibility 2, depending on the brand of the disk (LG,
Panasonic/Matshita in particular) do not let you access physically access
the disk content unless the two zones matches. So you either have to set
the proper zone first (if new, LG and matshita for example aren't set to
any zones and won't read any disks out of the box). Other alternative is
flashing a RPC-0 or RPC-1 firmware (check rpc1.org)

If bluray:
-you must have libaacs installed and configured (that include having found
a aacs keys file: google AACS keys VLC) with the keys installed in
~/.mythtv/KEYDB.cfg. Read:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Definition_Disk_Formats

Mythtv at present only supports playback of AACS encrypted bluray, provided
you have the keys for it, and it's not too recent.
Bluray encrypted with BD+ required at present a commercial solution: anydvd
HD or makeMKV. It's explained on the wiki.