[mythtv-users] HDPVR died, what should I buy?

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 15:15:15 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 10:51 AM, Kip Bodi wrote:
> I also have FIOS in Massachusetts.  I used to use the HDPVR, but
> switched to a Ceton InfiniTV 4.  It works great, though no
> HBO/showtime due to the CCI bit.  I think the cablecard fee is $3.99 a
> month.
>

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Michael Drons <mdrons at yahoo.com
> <mailto:mdrons at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     My HDPVR seems to be dead.  It had a good run of over 2 years.  So
>     what should I buy now?
>
>     My cable company is Verizon FIOS in Massachusetts if it make a
>     difference.
>
>     I currently have a HD Homerun, so I really need something that
>     gets me the other channels.
>
>     I have been trying to get the firewire connection to work, but
>     afer about 50 missed recordings, its time to find something else.
>
>     Thanks, Mike

I want to also recommend the ceton 4port pcie card. I have one running
with comcast in Indiana and it has done a wonderful job. I dont have the
pay channels because I dont think they are worth the money - So I cannot
comment if comcast lets you record them. I dont think they do but all
the other channels record beautifully and in HD. This is my first HD
card and just loving it.

I think the cost of the cable card is about the same also between
comcast and Verizon. Its worth it there as you have 4 tuners basically
and pay about 4 bucks a month.

Setup involved:

Get the cable card from provider and put it in ceton.
Install ceton in computer.
Install drivers from ceton site, load drivers...
---- The ceton shows up basically as a network device (ctn0)with an ip
of 192.168.200.200.

Connect cable line adapter to ceton and call provider to activate cable
card.

coffee