[mythtv-users] failing hard drive - advice on recovering specific recordings - mythlink perhaps

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 28 16:29:39 UTC 2014

On 6/28/2014 12:13 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 6/28/2014 6:15 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>         On 28/06/14 07:28, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>
>             Hoi jacek,
>
>             Saturday, June 28, 2014, 8:09:02 AM, you wrote:
>
>                 I would recommend placing hard drive in two ziplock bags
>                 and then
>                 in freezer for 12 hours and then just copy all files off  Â
>

>             Be very careful with condensation. I would probably only
>             risk this in
>             a very dry climate!
>
>         "Two ziplock bags".
>

>     You still have moisture contained within the drive itself, and in
>     the ziplock bags.  Putting a hard drive in the freezer such as this
>     should be considered likely to destroy the drive, so it should only
>     be used as a last ditch attempt.
>
> life hacker says it works. The original poster stated that it works for
> a while then it stops after warming up.. so if he cools his drive than
> the time to copy all the files will be much longer.

Of course anecdotal evidence from people with limited technical skills
should always be trusted. Think of what potential failure modes you
might experience in a mechanical hard drive, and then try to think of
how you could possibly benefit from freezing it. The only one that makes
any sense is bearing failure due to interference issues. Cooling the
drive during operation would help, but _freezing_ it is just as likely
to finish off the bearing completely.

Stop top posting.