[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Sun Jun 29 08:56:59 UTC 2014

On 29/06/2014 4:11 PM, mailing at biased.org wrote:
>> On 28/06/2014 11:21 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>
>> Compaq Desktop systems are generally fairly
>> quiet unless running heavily loaded,
>
> So would something like this Compaq would be a better choice over the
> Dell?
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231269329043
Yep.  They are a good reliable machine, and relatively quiet.   And
enough grunt (specially with nVidia card added.

>> On 28/06/2014 15:24 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>>
>> Well just get raspberry pi and raspbmc and you will be set. you can
>> convert
>> on fly 1080 to pal 480 and watch on backed.
>
> Interesting, I'm really intrigued about this idea.  I'm worried about
> the lack of S-Video output, not clear that I can use a Composite ->
> S-Video adapter, although I could use a Composite -> SCART adapter.
>
> There's quite a few comments online of the Pi not being beefy enough
> to run MythTV.  How well does raspmc work?  Is there any lag in the
> use?  Any jerky video?  Is  it possible to use the iPad to control this?
I think there are many iPad apps to control XBMC.
I personally prefer XBMC to Myth as a frontend, much more eye candy,
better Music Player, many additional add-ons.
The Myth Addon for XBMC now works well (although there is a short delay
when first started whilst it sync's the recording lists).  I have not
tried it on my Pi yet, (Mine runs as a Media server in the family minibus)

> Many thanks to everyone again!
>
> Cheers - Piers
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.