[mythtv-users] Seeking frontend advice

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jun 30 21:10:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 6/30/2014 12:33 PM, Mike Carron wrote:
>> I've seen a few HD CRT sets in the US but they were about as common as
>> dirt in Akihabara (Tokyo's toys-for-men district) in the early 1990s.
>
> Early 2000s?  The only purpose for a HD display in the early 90s would be a
> large format computer monitor.

Stuff in Akihabara isn't restricted to consumer level items.  There's
all sorts of stuff there which came from pieces of industrial
equipment or who knows what.  I would not have been at all surprised
to find HD CRTs there in the early 90s.  I was there once in the late
90s and it's definitely not your run-of-the-mill Best Buy experience.
If you've seen Mythbusters and looked at how their workspace is laid
out, with floor to ceiling bins of highly esoteric junk of all kinds
everywhere you look, then imagine that scaled up to the size of a
small city, that's Akihabara.

Eric