[mythtv-users] Advice on clean install/upgrade of OS an MythTV?

DryHeat122 . dryheat122 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:13:05 UTC 2014

I have an existing MythTV setup that is itself out of date and is running
on an old version of Fedora (FC 15).  I want to do a clean install of FC 20
and the latest MythTV package.  I know for this purpose I need to backup
mythconverg and restore it once the new install is done.  My question is
about recorded videos I have on the machine.  These are on a separate
partition/drive from the OS and MythTV software, as shown:

[root at mythtv /]# parted -l

Model: ATA WDC WD3200AAKS-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sda: 320GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags

 1      1049kB  630MB   629MB   primary  ext4            boot

 2      630MB   4720MB  4089MB  primary  linux-swap(v1)

 3      4720MB  320GB   315GB   primary  ext4

Model: ATA WDC WD1001FALS-0 (scsi)

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags

1           1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  primary  xfs

One question is whether I can install FC 20 and MythTV on /dev/sda and
preserve the videos on /dev/sdb, or whether I need to back up the videos to
an external drive, format both drives, and start over.  I would rather
avoid that if possible because I'm not sure I have a big enough external
drive.

Another question is whether FC 20 is the best choice, i.e. is it working OK
with MythTV, or should I maybe use FC 19 instead.

A final question is whether there is anything I can do on the new install
to address an audio stuttering issue I have been having on the existing
setup.  I am pretty sure it's related to data throughput somehow because it
mainly happens when there is a lot of change in the video (panning shots on
HD programs for example) and I recall reading some time ago that this could
be related to the configuration of the file system somehow.  So maybe it
would be better to back up the videos and restore them on a different file
system configuration anyway.