[mythtv-users] Advice on clean install/upgrade of OS an MythTV?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 14:51:49 UTC 2014

DryHeat122 . <dryheat122 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've been thinking about making the switch.  I've really got no reason to favor Fedora except experience with it. And I don't use the machine for anything but MythTV.  So there is nothing that would happen to hose the existing recordings, i.e. a change in XFS or something, if I reinstall with Mythbuntu?

Just keep the drive as it is, and as long as whatever you install supports XFS then it'll "just work".
If you want to change filesystem then unless there is an in-place upgrade path you will need to copy the recordings elsewhere, reformat the partition, and then copy them back again. Even if there is an in-place option, having a backup would be "prudent".

The main thing to watch is a "use the whole disk ..." option where the installer will just do it's own thing and use whatever is there (parsonally I always manually partition my drives). It may be safer to unplug your recordings drive while doing the install - then you'll need to manually add an extra line to /etc/fstab later to make it auto mount.