[mythtv-users] WinTV-HVR1100 and Nova-TD Stick udev rules

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 8 04:40:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 14:30:04 +1100, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I've happily been running MythTV with an old Hauppauge HVR1100 pci
>card for a couple of years and have just purchased a Nova-TD USB dual
>tuner.  I'm trying to set up appropriate udev rules so the adapter
>numbers don't change.
>
>From reading numerous other threads, my understanding is that I want
>to set up a symlink to each of the adapters using udev rules to find
>the device.
>
>Using:
>
>$ udevadm info -q path -n /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0 --attribute-walk
>
>Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
>walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
>found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
>A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
>and the attributes from one single parent device.
>
>  looking at device
>'/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:0c.2/dvb/dvb2.frontend0':
>    KERNEL=="dvb2.frontend0"
>    SUBSYSTEM=="dvb"
>    DRIVER==""
>
>  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:0c.2':
>    KERNELS=="0000:02:0c.2"
>    SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
>    DRIVERS=="cx88-mpeg driver manager"
>    ATTRS{irq}=="20"
>    ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0070"
>    ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
>    ATTRS{class}=="0x048000"
>    ATTRS{consistent_dma_mask_bits}=="32"
>    ATTRS{dma_mask_bits}=="32"
>    ATTRS{local_cpus}=="ff"
>    ATTRS{device}=="0x8802"
>    ATTRS{msi_bus}==""
>    ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-7"
>    ATTRS{vendor}=="0x14f1"
>    ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x9800"
>    ATTRS{d3cold_allowed}=="1"
>
>  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0':
>    KERNELS=="0000:00:1e.0"
>    SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
>    DRIVERS==""
>    ATTRS{irq}=="0"
>    ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0000"
>    ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
>    ATTRS{class}=="0x060400"
>    ATTRS{consistent_dma_mask_bits}=="32"
>    ATTRS{dma_mask_bits}=="32"
>    ATTRS{local_cpus}=="ff"
>    ATTRS{device}=="0x244e"
>    ATTRS{msi_bus}=="1"
>    ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-7"
>    ATTRS{vendor}=="0x8086"
>    ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x0000"
>    ATTRS{d3cold_allowed}=="0"
>
>  looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00':
>    KERNELS=="pci0000:00"
>    SUBSYSTEMS==""
>    DRIVERS==""
>
>I can generate a rule:
>
>KERNEL=="dvb?.frontend?", SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802",
>SYMLINK+="dvb/HVR1100"
>
>But this creates:
>
>$ ls -l /dev/dvb
>total 0
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar  8 13:03 adapter0
>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar  8 13:03 adapter1
> [...]

My Nova TD PCI cards are easy to fix the adapter numbers for, and my
understanding is that the PCI card is virtually the same as the USB
version, just with a PCI-USB chip on the front.  Just create a file
such as options-dvb.conf in /etc/modprobe.d and put something like
this in it:

  options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1

As long as you do not have any other DVB-T tuners using the dib0700
driver, then that will fix the numbers for the Nova TD tuners.  There
is no need to use the complicated udev rules when the tuners will
accept the adapter_nr option and you do not have multiple tuners using
the same driver.

I believe that the enumeration order is fixed for the two tuners on
the same device, so they should not swap around using the adapter_nr
option.  But even if they do, they are identical tuners so it should
not cause any trouble unless you have given them different aerial
connections.

Other adapters will get the unused numbers in order, from the lowest
available number upwards, but will ignore the manually assigned
numbers.

Finding the name of the driver used for a tuner can be a bit of a pain
- there are usually clues in dmesg and the other log files, but often
the exact driver name is not in the log messages.