[mythtv-users] Update question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:51:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM, A Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a generic update question -
> * Is it okay to do a "yum update" on either one or both Linux systems? It's
> been a while so the update show me 651 Mb worth of installation on the
> backend. I didn't want an update on the Linux side to break my myth.

RHEL (as you know, which is why you are probably using it) is targeted
for long term stability and works to avoid API changes that would break
existing applications.  Updates are usually non-impacting (as with all
else, testing on your development systems is always recommended),
although you should read the release notes if you are crossing a release
(6.4 to 6.5, for example), as that is when RH would have changed
something substantive (if they were forced to do so, usually forced
by some upstream changes).

That said, since RHEL6 never shipped with Qt4.8, you are either using
a locally built/installed Qt, or using a 3rd party built Qt (repo).  And
those could have issues, since (clearly) RH cannot assure that there
are not incompatible changes in their updates with other repos or
local installations (depending on how you performed it), and could
replace/update libraries without appropriate dependency checking.

One thing to do is to do the "yum upgrade" and look at the repos from
which the updates are coming.  Look carefully at the list of updates,
and from which repos they are coming from.  The non-CentOS ones
are more likely to cause issues.