[mythtv-users] Recommendations - WinTV-DCR-2650 vs HD Homerun Prime

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Mar 14 14:58:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Windows Media Center? Hmm that's another option I suppose. Does that work
> similar to MythTV or is it something different. I'm mostly a Mac person
> (with some Linus mixed in) so I've not much experience with Windows
> products.

Generally Comcast only blocks recording on Premium channels, like HBO,
and Pay-Per-View/On-Demand channels.  All other channels should be
recordable (barring configuration errors at your local Comcast
facilities).

If you want to record content blocked by digital recording copy
controls, you need an analog recorder, such as the HDPVR 1212, with a
dedicated set-top-box provided by Comcast.

I'm on Verizon Fios and I have six tuners: one HD Home Run Dual with
two tuners that can record only unencrypted channels (broadcast TV),
one HD HomeRun Prime with three tuners that can record almost
everything else, and one HDPVR for premium channels.  With this mix, I
don't get many conflicts.

Eric