[mythtv-users] Need help with migration Mythbuntu 10.04 -> Mythbuntu 12.04

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:57:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> No errors shown in the logs.  You said you started mythbackend, then
> mythfrontend, then mythfrontend crashed, then you shut down mythbackend.
>  The next step after what's showing in your frontend log would have been
> the MythMusic schema update, which could be canceled if you chose the
> option to cancel it from the prompt on screen.  However, in doing that, you
> would have gotten actual exit messages, so it seems that mythfrontend is
> actually crashing.
>
> Therefore, to figure out what's happening, you'll have to get a backtrace:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Debugging
>

> Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.  Still having problems, but ran out of time
today.  I've not gotten any prompts on screen except when running
mythtv-setup.  Those included ones about:
    a) stopping mythtv-backend before starting mythtv-setup
    b) starting mythtv-backend after exit
    c) running mythfilldatabase after exit

I have had crash reports from mythtv-setup after exit (but only after the
prompt about starting mythtv-backend comes up and that still starts
mythtv-backend successfully if I tell it to do so).

I thought maybe there was an issue based on something I saw in one of the
log files at one point regarding lack of access to a console, so I tried
launching xconsole for some tests and starting xterm -C for others, but
neither got any messages, so that was no help.

Will get back into it tomorrow.  I've dithered around with this enough to
not trust anything, so I'll start from a clean slate install and see it
that gets me anywhere different.  If not, I'll get into the debug backtrace
process.

--
Craig.