[mythtv-users] Two files after transcoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 17 02:34:01 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 07:01 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> That sounds good. I would then assume that leaving the afore mentioned
> box checked, for second chance's sake

Definitely the right approach.  No one should ever leave the setting
disabled (it's disabled by default) unless they routinely and
exclusively transcode recordings that they don't care about.  Since
transcoding is time (and electricity) consuming, it only makes sense to
transcode important recordings that you plan to keep, so I don't think
anyone should ever leave the setting disabled.

FWIW, it's disabled by default because it leaves around multi-gigabyte
files that aren't managed by MythTV on MythTV recording file systems and
if the user didn't know about them, they would waste a ton of space.
Therefore, the default is disabled, but we recommend /everyone/ who ever
uses MythTV transcoding should enable keeping the original files--at
which point they would know there will be extra files to ...

>   and manually deleting after

the user finishes transcoding a recording and verifies...

> satisfactory transcoding

This...
>   would be the dev-intended management scheme?

Exactly.

> Forgive me if I seem to be beating the crap out of this issue, I just
> want to do the right thing first and not have to go back and clean up
> an avoidable mess. Confirmation please.

The .old files are not managed by MythTV (at this time), and should be
deleted manually using your preferred non-MythTV tool or, if you'd like,
you can use the find_orphans.py script to show you all the
not-managed-by-MythTV files in (what should be) the MythTV-specific
recording directory (that contains only MythTV-managed recordings and
their previews).

Eventually, MythTV will manage them for you and make it easy to
find/remember them as well as to delete them, but until then, it's your
responsibility.

Mike