[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Mar 26 14:54:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> So with the dual model I just need to plug that into my PC (via USB) and
> then point it at my STB. Correct?

Yes.

> Also I was unclear what you mean by "using a "real" mce usb kit". I was
> under the impression this was a real MCE. How can you tell the difference?

MCE refers to the IR protocol used between the transmitter and the
receiver.  Any remote that transmits this protocol is an MCE remote
and any receiver that receives this protocol is an MCE receiver.

"mceusb" refers to a USB driver used to connect to a USB device which
implements an IR transceiver.  These devices typically use the MCE
protocol, but I don't think the operating system needs to know that.

The HVR 1600 includes an MCE remote and MCE compatible transceiver,
but it is not a USB device and does not use the mceusb driver.  From a
software point of view, it's a completely different device.

Eric