[mythtv-users] Updated mythbuntu theme version 28

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:49:29 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 8:05 AM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Weird, the date here is showing as 27/5 that's it.. not a full date
> >

> > mythfrontend -> Setup -> Appearance -> (3rd page) Date Format
> >
> > That is one of the few settings the user is still allowed to make, that
> > themers have to account for.  Believe it or not, but I actually wish the
> > user had a little more control of the UI appearance, even though it would
> > make theming that much harder.
> >
> > John
>
> I'm not sure I agree with this. If I've got to account for that, it
> means I have to account for the largest value (something like
> "Wednesday, December 31st, 2288"). If I do that, there isn't much
> space left on the screen for anything else (that would probably be a
> larger field than title, which would be silly).

One of the reasons I ended up writing Steppes, was because there was not a
*single* theme which presented all the data I wanted to see, in the way I
wanted to see it.  If everyone agreed that they liked a single
presentation, then there would only be one theme, and we would not have the
choices that we do ;-)

I personally have my date format set to "DoW YYYY-MM-DD".  It does not
really take up that much room, but it does take more room than mosts themes
allow for.  In Steppes, the page heading (or page title) can overlap the
date, but even with the longest date format and the longest page heading
they do not -- if English is the language.  It might happen, though, with a
language like Russian.   One of the biggest challenges was trying to use a
large enough font that it could be read from across the room, but still
have enough room to allow Greek translated labels to still fit in their
"areas".

Stuart has been tinkering with creating a theme which uses icons wherever
possible, to solve the problem with allowing enough area for 'labels'.
 Icons are universal, so you don't have to worry about how long the
translation is going to be in another language.

John