[mythtv-users] VAAPI with Intel HD 4400

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Sun May 4 16:35:23 UTC 2014

> On May 4, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am confused about Intel cards, most of my PCs has Nvidia card, and
> they work out of the box with the non-free drivers, are Intel drivers
> free? or there are non-free drivers too?
>

> You don't have a card per se, the graphics hardware is part of the cpu.
> Intel's drivers are free and open source and typically just work. They do
> for me, I'm also running intel graphics on a stock wheezy system but with an
> ivy bridge cpu. Possibly different is I rolled my own /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
> called out intel in the device section. It could be your laptop is
> defaulting to vga graphics but I imagine you'd see crappy resolution if that
> was the case.
>
> If you do get it working you'll find the libva in wheezy is very unstable
> with myth, there are lots of crashes. I use ffmpeg decoding with intel
> opengl and that's pretty stable. CPUs are so fast nowadays they can software
> decode anything you throw at them. I think myth calls this the "High
> Quality" profile.
>
> I try but there is packages just for Fedora and Ubuntu, not for
> Debian, must I compile from source?
>

> You do. I think I've read on intel's forums that you can take the deb
> sources, build packages on debian, and it will work but haven't tried that
> yet.
>
> - George

Thanks George,

I try to "High Quality" profile, but the CPU is not enough good for HD content.

I try to compile from source:

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get build-dep intel-vaapi-driver

wget https://download.01.org/gfx/src/intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4.tar.gz
tar -xzvf intel-linux-graphics-installer_1.0.4.tar.gz
cd intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

Error:

make  all-am
make[4]: Entering directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
  CC     configuration.o
  CC     proxy-config.o
  CC     diagnostics-view.o
  CC     driver-manager-app.o
  CC     key-view.o
  CC     main.o
  CC     main-window.o
  CC     marshal.o
  CC     package-manager.o
package-manager.c: In function ‘packages_retrieved_cb’:
package-manager.c:396:3: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘g_clear_pointer’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  CC     package-manager-fedora.o
  CC     package-manager-ubuntu.o
package-manager-ubuntu.c: In function ‘on_add_repo_transaction_finished’:
package-manager-ubuntu.c:731:3: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘g_clear_pointer’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
package-manager-ubuntu.c: In function ‘package_manager_ubuntu_is_status_ok’:
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1218:7: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘g_spawn_check_exit_status’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1227:32: error: ‘G_SPAWN_EXIT_ERROR’
undeclared (first use in this function)
package-manager-ubuntu.c:1227:32: note: each undeclared identifier is
reported only once for each function it appears in
make[4]: *** [package-manager-ubuntu.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/lazkano/Desktop/vaapi/intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.0.4'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

Someone could help to compile the drivers from source? I normally use
deb repositories.

Need I remove repository driver before install "01.org" driver?

Thanks for your help.

--
Josu Lazkano