[mythtv-users] Dvd and blueray ripping

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Mon May 5 18:39:11 UTC 2014

> in the
> ubuntu
> > >
> > >    In terms of what you are asking, DVDs are probably at least
> feasible.
> > > BluRays aren't.
> > >
> > >    I would definitely go with a 3rd party solution and just inserting
> the
> > > results into your library.
>
> [deletia]
>

> > You could do a rip of a DVD or bluray using a combination of MakeMkv and
> > handbrake. It works, but you have to do alot of work.
>
>      DVDs are really trivial.
>
>      BluRays are more interesting because it's newer and less trivial
> encryption
> and a format that's meant to be updated to keep ahead of pirates. The end
> result
> is that the people working on this stuff expect to get paid.
>
>      With a DVD, you generally don't need anything more than mplayer.
>
>      If you don't like the idea of manually futzing with Handbrake, you
> can just
> drop the options of your choice into a script. The Handbrake GUI might
> even help
> you with that.

Jedi: True. I only meant that it's not a "insert the bluray or dvd and they
start ripping themselves" solution. You do have to configure both handbrake
and makemkv to do the ripping. I gladfully support the guys who have
written both applications as the are really great, but I do use the GUI to
do the work and ripping a Bluray takes a while...

Regards,

Andréas