[mythtv-users] OT: XBMC frontend use?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon May 5 19:55:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-05 at 12:29 -0700, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> I'm talking about porting the Mythbuntu theme to XBMC. Now that XBMC
> 13 is out, and commercial skipping should work (I think),

Ahhh.  XBMC and commercial skipping... probably the one and only thing
holding me back from using XBMC.

The problem I have with XBMC and commercial skipping is that the
commercial flagging in MythTV is not accurate if the stream being
flagged has more than one framerate in it.

That's exacerbated by XBMC's less-useful skipping keys.  For inaccurate
commflagging, MythTV's "sticky keys" feature is great.  Normally skip
forward is, (say) 30s and skip back is (say) 10s since you typically
want to jump forward in big leaps and then correct over-leaping by going
back in smaller jumps, but then you might want to fine tune going
forward by less than 30s again.  Sticky keys makes going forward only
10s if it happens right after a jump backward (of 10s).

> For packaging, I'm talking about the MythTV PVR plugin. Now that XBMC
> 13 is released it works with MythTV 0.27 again, but it only supported
> 0.26 until just recently. I'd be looking at the possibility of
> building and packaging that plugin so it works with the current
> version of XBMC (eg. when the plugin gets support for 0.28, we'd have
> a XBMC 13 plugin that would work with 0.28).

Sweet.  But without accurate commflagging, it's all academic for me.

Cheers,
b.